He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked. 1 John 2:6 (KJV).
We all have people in our lives who stand as role models, people we look up to, people we aspire in some ways to emulate. In some cases these role models also become mentors, who we go to for advice, they help teach and train us in certain matters of life.
Furthermore, on a deeper level, these mentors may become leading authorities in our lives and we become their followers or disciples. There is no arguing that these mentors or role models may have at some point in our lives been of immense help to us. However, we must bear in mind that they are only human mentors that must only be emulated for just a brief period, and as we all know nothing is permanent in this life.
Therefore, our questions are, who can we say is the perfect mentor and role model? Do we have someone who we can absolutely emulate or rely on all through this life and in eternity? Can we find a role model who will satisfy every single need and desire that we have been searching and longing for?
In answer to the questions above, our Bible verse for today points to only one person, and He is Jesus. So, why is Jesus the perfect mentor and role model? Now there are a few answers to this question and they will be provided as we proceed:
1. He is God Almighty who came down to earth in the flesh to die for sinful man.
2. He walked on the earth as fully God and fully man righteous and without blame.
3. He fulfilled the purposes of God by dying on the cross for our sins, was buried, and after three days rose victorious from the dead, ascended to heaven, and is right now seated at the right hand of God the Father.
4. He lives forevermore, just as the Bible in Hebrews 13:8 rightly says, “Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and today, and forever.”
5. He remains faithful and true to all of His words and promises given and can never lie, there is no deceit in Him for He is the Amen, the faithful and true witness. (Revelation 3: 14).
6. All that Jesus accomplished in His life, death, and resurrection concretely proves that He alone is our perfect and ultimate mentor. He continues to show, teach, and train us on how to live, act, walk and relate with God and man in this life, through this life, and for the life to come.
Therefore, we must make it our mission to continually look to Jesus, follow after and emulate Him. He is the perfect role-model just as Hebrews 12:2 rightly informs us, “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.” (KJV).
If we must truly have Jesus as our ultimate mentor and role model, we must make a conscious decision to not only follow Him, but we must abide in Him, and be partakers and expressions of His Divine Nature.
Ebimobo W. Obasi
PLEASE PRAY ALONG:
Live Like Jesus
JESUS, you are my perfect mentor and role model. Thank You for allowing me to draw near to You. I am so grateful that you never leave me and I don’t want to ever leave You. If I’m being honest, sometimes I don’t obey Your commands as I should. At times, I choose my immediate desires over Your long-term plans. Forgive me! Make me more like You and draw me back to You. Help me to live like You in every area of my life. AMEN.